Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 23, 2007

Left from pre-history

Ain’ Getting’ Too Damn Close
By GC SMITH

There’s a gator in the pond outside my door’,
he’s a big old bull , king of the space he owns;
he’s been around here since I don’t know when
seems sometimes he’s been here since time began

Yellow eyes watch me closely
from just above the green duckweed cover
while the rest of that big old boy
lies hidden under dead still water

Prey is what is on his pea brain
honed to that one thought by time
he’d like to stuff me in his hole to ripen
but if not me my dog will do just fine

He’s quite a creature that old bull gator,
lying there so still, stalking unwary critters;
he’s fascinating, well worth some close study,
but believe me you, I ain’ gettin’ too damn close

2 comments:

Martin Heavisides said...

There's a great, very funny story by Dostoyevsky, 'The Crocodile', that you should look up if you haven't read it already.

GC SMITH said...

I haven't. I will.