Pages

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Norman Mailer "shuffled off this mortal coil."

REST IN PEACE OLD GUY
or, Bedevil the Devil
if you will



Article from USA today

by Bob Minzesheimer, USA TODAY
Norman Mailer, one of the last surviving literary lions to roar out of World War II, died Saturday morning.

Mailer, 84, died of acute renal failure at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, said J. Michael Lennon, his official biographer.

In a fiesty career of highs and lows, Mailer wrote more than 40 books, won two Pulitzer Prizes and managed to be mentioned in everything from the TV show King of the Hill to John Lennon's Give Peace A Chance.

As a novelist, essayist and reporter, he took on celebrities, war, politics, boxing, God, sex and perhaps his favorite theme, the battle between good and evil.

He had hoped to write at least one more novel.

3 comments:

Martin Heavisides said...

I'd thought to put in a favourite passage here, but I can't find my copy of Cannibals and Christians (would have quoted the last two paragraphs of 'A Happy Solution to Vietnam') and Pieces and Pontifications (something from 'Of A Small and Modest Malignancy, Wicked and Bristling With Dots")---well, apart from that I'll have a lot of typing of my own to do today, which will test a little the blood clot needles I'm on since I can't keep my leg elevated while I'm about it. 'A Happy Solution' and a great deal else he wrote about Vietnam is, unfortunately, as relevant as ever. Cheers.

GC SMITH said...

Cheers, my friend.

Unknown said...

Hey GC, Your blog is looking great! Happy Holidays to all you down there. Best, Jeff Rose